Victory Radiologists offers a wide range of specialised Ultrasound services. We pride ourselves on offering our patients access to trained and qualified staff using the latest, state-of-the-art equipment. Ultrasounds require a referral from your doctor. This procedure may also require pre-authorization from your medical aid and a co-payment may also apply.
Ultrasound include studies
of the following:
- Abdomen, including the gallbladder, liver, kidneys, pancreas, spleen, and appendix
- Breasts, including evaluation of breast nodules
- Infant hips
- Hysterosonogram, including the endometrial lining of the uterus
- Pelvis-including uterus and ovaries (gynecology)
- Pregnancy (OB)
- Vascular, including leg veins, carotid artery and aorta
- We will start the examination by asking you a few questions about your condition and medical history.
- Some Ultrasound procedures have specific requirements and preparations that must be carried out by the patient before the study can take place. Please contact our team to ensure that you prepare accordingly in order to avoid a failed or delayed procedure.
- You will be asked to lie on a comfortable table while the technologist performs the exam. A handheld device, called an ultrasound probe or transducer, will be moved across the surface of the skin in the area of interest after a liquid gel is placed on the probe and/or the skin.
- For certain ultrasound exams a special internal probe is used. The endovaginal probe is used for most pelvic exams to create the most detailed images of the uterus and ovaries. Exam chaperones may attend at the technologist’s discretion and/or at the patient’s request.
- Images may be taken and these, together with the radiologists report will be placed into an envelope for you to take with you back to your referring doctor. The technologist will ensure the images taken are complete and accurate, before you leave the clinic; however please note, they do not interpret the images. Procedure results will be communicated directly to your doctor.
- Through our software system, your doctor has immediate access to your images and the radiologists report as soon as they are completed. They will consult with you and explain the results at a follow-up appointment.